Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Week two (part 1)

Finally getting an idea!

Inspired by one of my favorite romantic movies, The Best of Me (Micheal Huffman 2014) -cheesy, I know-, I was able to further define what I wanted to create and what sub genre I wanted to use. Deciding that I was going to be creating in the romantic drama sub genre, was really ground breaking for me because it really helped me narrow down my ideas. At the beginning of the week I was really nauseous with all of the possibilities and ideas that I was having, which really confused me and quite honestly it became frustrating as it made me feel as thought I wasn't doing things correctly, so having a solid decision of narrowing down to romantic drama really helped me. My next was researching everything of romantic dramas. This is what I came up with; deciding that I was going to be creating a romantic drama, I knew that I had to research the drama genre.
The drama genre usually entails themes such as; drug addiction, alcoholism, racial prejudice, class division, etc. The main focus of the genre is on creating an in-depth development of character(s) going through a critical moment in their life’s and the journey of going through those emotions. While the romance genre focuses on the development of emotions and relationship between two main characters utilizing themes such as; love at first sight, love triangle, sentimental love, unrequited love, etc. To combine these two genres to create a romantic drama, I have to create a story where two characters are both going through individual problems in their own life's and are trying to learn how to handle these emotions on their own, all while they meet and fall in love. I like this idea because even though the characters fall in love entirely and want to nothing more than to be together, they are the ones who are preventing them selfs being able to do that. How are they supposed to be in a relationship and support themselves through all of their problems and help lift and better one and another, when they can't even do that for themselves. These characters are going to have to learn how to deal with themselves and get control over their own life, before even thinking of being together.

Examples of Romantic Dramas:

A Star is Born is a great example of a movies where both characters are going through their individual problems which in the end, end up taking over their relationship.

Image result for A Star Is Born

Call Me by Your Name, one of the greatest movies of all time, plays this theme out very well, with of the characters struggling with a past, well technically current, relationship, and the other character struggling with his sexuality and trying to understand his needs and desires.

Image result for Call Me by Your Name

Me Before You, again another great example of the sub genre. Here one of the characters is learning to accept his new disability and how to live with it, while the other is trying to figure out how to help and maintain her family while still trying to find out what she likes and enjoys doing.

Image result for Me Before You

In the end...

In the end, I am very gland that I have narrowed down my idea and sub genre. My next step was identifying a specific plot with developed characters and ideas, which I know will probably be the hardest part, but I am hopeful that with such a large age range of 13-55 for my target audience it could possibly be easier to come up with an idea that will please all. With females being my main audience, as they typically tend to enjoy romantic movies more than the average man, appealing to emotions and create a very strong and independent female lead is definitely a very important for me and my movie. For now, as I keep on researching for a more narrow down version of my plot, I leave you with a clip with one of the most beautiful, and also one of my favorite, movies of all time, Sleepless In Seattle. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where we must part...

As I say my last goodbyes, I want to thank everyone and anyone who to the time to actually read any of my blogs, even if it was just one. I ...